Greece, New York
Introduction to Greece, New York
Greece, New York, in Monroe County, is 5 miles Northwest of Rochester and 64 miles East of Buffalo. The town benefits from easy access to the City of Rochester and surrounding towns in the Rochester metropolitan area. As of the 2010 United States census, the town had a total population of 96,095.
- The Town of Greece was established by the State Legislature on March 22, 1822. It was initially known as Northampton and was a part of the Town of Gates.
- The town's official flag was adopted at a meeting of the Town Council on August 17, 1954. Centered in a field of white is a circular emblem, designed by J.S. Perticone and depicting the old lighthouse at the mouth of the Genesee River, which was built in 1822 – the same year the town was established. The circle represents the shield of the warriors of Ancient Greece and the border is of characteristic Greek design. Lightning flashes symbolize energy and strength and the colors – terra cotta, golden yellow and black – are those used in old Greece pottery and artistic decorations.
- The original cupola from the old town now stands in front of the Greece Historical Society on Long Pond Road.
- Dewey Avenue was named for Admiral George Dewey who fought in the Spanish-American War (1898-1899). The Rochester City Council named the street after Dewey in late 1898. The portion located in Greece was called Barnard Crossing until after WWI.
All About Greece
Long the home of the Seneca Indians, the area which would become the Town of Greece was first visited by the French explorer LaSalle in 1669. This area would be witness to numerous troop movements over the next century as the French and English fought for control of North America. English troops, under General John Prideaux, used a water route from Braddock Bay to 4 Mile Creek against the French at the Battle of Fort Niagara. The first permanent settlement was established in 1792 along the west side of the Genesee River at King's Landing, later to be named Hanford Landing.
With the establishment of the Port of the Genesee by President Thomas Jefferson in 1805, trade from the Great Lakes began to pour in. With access to Lake Ontario, the Genesee River, Ridge Road and later the Erie Canal, the Town became a transportation hub and a major supplier of farm produce to the new and growing nation.
Originally called Northampton, the Town of Greece was established by the New York State Legislature on March 22, 1822. Its name was chosen because of the current wave of sympathy toward the Greeks who were then fighting for independence from Turkish rule. The Town seat was named Charlotte for the daughter of Colonel Troup, the land agent for an English estate which owned much of western New York at the time. Charlotte itself was incorporated as a village in 1869, and was part of Greece until 1916 when it was annexed to the City of Rochester as the 23rd Ward.
Agriculture would remain the dominant enterprise in Greece until the twentieth century, when Eastman Kodak Company would become the major industrial employer in the region. Most of the Town's growth has occurred after World War II with the population exceeding 94,000 in 2000. The character of Greece today is of a residential suburb with modern industry and commerce.
The official flag of the Town of Greece was adopted at a meeting of the Town Council on August 17, 1954. Centered in a field of white is a circular emblem, designed by J. S. Perticone depicting the old lighthouse at the mouth of the Genesee River which was built in 1822 - the same year the Town was established. The circle represents the shield of the warriors of the Ancient Greece and the border is of characteristic Greek design. Lightning flashes symbolize energy and strength and the colors - terra cotta, golden yellow and black - are those used in old Greek pottery and artistic decorations. The Greece Historical Society is under contract as the official "Town Historian."
Form of Town Government
The Town is a suburban Town of the first-class and was organized on March 22, 1822. Greece Central School District, Spencerport Central School District and Hilton School District serve the Town and rely upon their own taxing powers granted by the State to raise revenues.
The Supervisor of the Town is the presiding member of the Town Board, is elected for a term of four years and is eligible to succeed himself. In addition to the Supervisor, there are four members of the Town Board who are elected for two year terms with term limits of 5 consecutive 2 year terms. The Supervisor is elected at large and each council member is elected from one of four districts.
The Town appoints its Town Clerk, Commissioner of Public Works and Town Attorney. The Tax Receiver is an elected official who serves a four year term.
Rochester Regional Health
First envisioned by community leaders to meet the health care needs of the growing suburban population, Park Ridge Hospital opened its doors in 1975. In 1997, Park Ridge aligned with the former St. Mary's Hospital located in the city of Rochester to form Unity Health System. In 2014, the name of the hospital was changed to Rochester Regional Health.
Rochester Regional Health is the largest employer in the Town of Greece.
The Town's 41.78 square miles of land area is located along eight miles of Lake Ontario's south shore, and is bordered on the east by the City of Rochester through which runs the Genesee River. The topography of the Town of Greece is similar to many regions in western New York whose myriad of streams and ridges were carved out of the land by the glacial mass during the last ice age.
The Town's main topographical feature is the Ridge running east to west through the southern portion of the Town. A natural roadway for the native population of the region, it would later become the "Honeymoon Trail" for countless couples on their way to Niagara Falls. North of the Ridge lies flatland leading up to Lake Ontario, along the shores of which lie many sandy beaches, wetlands, and numerous bays and ponds, all supporting an abundance of waterfowl and other wildlife. South of the Ridge, the land rolls gently to the New York State Barge Canal, one of the great engineering feats of the early nineteenth century, and then southward into the Genesee Valley.
Like the early days of American expansion, the Town's development is from east to west. Commercial and residential development is concentrated in the east and south, while the west remains mainly undeveloped, consisting of farmland and dense woodlands. The industrial park of Eastman Kodak Company is located along the southern portion of the Town.
The location of the Town of Greece provides it with weather patterns of great seasonal contrast. Cold snowy winters, cool rainy springs, hot summers and a long rainy autumn are characteristic of the climate of Western New York. These weather patterns are the creation of a unique blend of conditions resulting from the proximity of the Great Lakes to the Town's location. These "lake effects" have a profound impact upon the weather.
Cold lake waters cool the surrounding air early in the year, delaying the onset of summer, but reducing the impact of early storm systems. As hot summer weather warms the lake waters, this trend begins to reverse itself. The cooler air of Autumn now mixes with the warm moist air above the lake. The skies become increasingly cloudy. These patterns continue into winter where the precipitation changes from rain to snow.
|Population (2010 Census): 96,095|
|Median Household Income: $53,541|
The Town of Greece is a suburb located northwest of the City of Rochester.
A large skilled workforce supplies resources necessary for the many large employers in the area.
The Town of Greece, being a part of the Greater Rochester Metropolitan Area, contributes to the growing prosperity of the region.
The Greece Public Library is part of the Monroe County Library System and receives more than 500,000 visits annually. A new main library facility was completed in 2000 and provides 35,000 square feet of space for books and other media used by the library patrons.
Community and Senior Center
Greece has its own Community and Senior Center located in the geographic center of the Town of Greece on Town Hall campus. This two story structure is approximately 35,000 sq. ft. This new center features a 7,800 sq. ft. gymnasium, senior citizen's lounge, 4,530 sq. ft. multi-purpose room, art room, dance/activity room, programmed fitness area and walking track.
The large expanse of undeveloped land and the more than 8 miles of shoreline along Lake Ontario is a natural habitat for many forms of wildlife. This abundance of natural land area provides many recreational opportunities for the residents of Greece. Several bike trails are located within the Town, as well as trails along the New York State Erie Canal (formerly the Barge Canal) maintained by New York State. The Town's bike trail stretches from the Canal to Lake Ontario. Access can be obtained from Henpeck Park on Ridgeway Ave.& Elmgrove and Basil Marella Park, 975 English Rd.
Deer, waterfowl and small game are hunted in the town. Shotgun (bird shot only) and bow hunting are restricted to specific areas. For more information on how to obtain a hunting license please click here.
The Town maintains 17 park areas containing 764 acres of land. Of this, only 189 acres are currently developed, with the remaining lands to be used for passive recreation. Located within these 189 acres are 13 baseball diamonds, 10 soccer fields, 3 combination football/soccer fields, 8 basketball courts, 20 tennis courts, 2 volleyball courts 16 playgrounds, a skate park, 2 disc golf courses (1 18-hole and 1 9-hole), and several nature trails.
The Greater Rochester International Airport provides air travel from the Rochester area to many other major airports throughout the country and Canada. Page Avjet provides runway facilities for smaller aircraft, typically commuter lines and private charters.
The residents of the Town of Greece are served by the Genesee Regional Transit Authority bus system which operates throughout the Rochester area.