Supervisor Bill Reilich is pleased to announce that after 2 years of planning and working towards bringing alternative energy to Greece, the first solar farm is officially underway. This will result in a portion of the Town’s electrical expenses being reduced to the maximum allowed limit.
Solar Liberty is a solar electric installation company. They promote energy independence through installation of solar electric systems. A solar electric system generates electricity and provides a secure return on investment by generating electricity through sunlight with little or no maintenance.
According to Solar Liberty (www.solarliberty.com), solar energy works in the following ways:
- Sunlight is absorbed into the cells of the solar panels. The electrons between the charged silicon layers of the cells become excited and produce DC electricity.
- The solar electricity passes through an inverter, which turns it into the same type of AC power that is delivered by the utility company.
- The new solar electricityfirst powers any lights, appliances, or equipment that is being used in the building. All available solar electricity will first be used before taking any from the utility power grid.
- Excess electricity flows backward through the electric meter out to the grid. A “net meter”spins both forward and backward depending whether excess power is being produced or if it’s being taken from the utility company. In the daytime the meter will either spin backward or slow the count forward.
- The only cost is for “net usage”– the difference between the amount taken from the utility company and the amount given back. Depending on the size of the system and usage, the electricity produced will cover either all or part of the overall electric bill.
“I’m very excited to announce that significant progress has been made with the installation of a solar farm in the Town of Greece.” Said Supervisor Reilich. “This is a great first step in introducing alternative energy”.